At HSAC, we strive to catalyze a multi-jurisdiction and comprehensive approach to preparedness, security, and resiliency in the Los Angeles region. We do this by providing innovative technology, unique opportunities for engagement, capability building, and partnerships for the public, private, and civic sectors.
HSAC is transforming crisis management across the region through SALUS-The Crisis Hub®, our ArcGIS Online platform that puts the power of GIS and big data into the hands of first responders, emergency managers, and policy makers.
We are seeking a GIS leader with project management skills to help drive this exciting transformation through the development and implementation of SALUS. The selected candidate will also design strategy and approach.
The GIS Director will be responsible for managing the technical component of SALUS, which is a collection of ArcGIS Online maps and apps, so that it continues to facilitate and support crisis and event management objectives, processes and workflows. You will work as a critical leader of the SALUS team and manage project requirements to determine objectives, deliverables, data requirements and sources, processing requirements, analytical procedures, and mapping/reporting requirements. As the GIS Director, you will oversee the management of HSAC’s ArcGIS Online Organization, and you and your team will be responsible for the ongoing development and maintenance of the tools, applications, and data configured for SALUS end users.
To be a good fit for this position, you must have strong skills using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online, including installation and configuration of the software. You must have the ability to ascertain project objectives, evaluate source documents/databases, determine project deliverable requirements/specifications, and prepare solid data production and QA/QC work plans that are cost-efficient and ensure quality results. You must demonstrate a strong understanding of geodatabase design best practices, resulting in high-performance databases that are easily maintained and capable of supporting business rules, processes, and functions. You must also have the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently, adapt to changing situations, and remain open to trying alternative solutions.
This position reports to the Vice President of Operations, and will be staffed at HSAC’s office.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage GIS Analyst, GIS Intern(s) and GIS consulting team to direct the technical strategy, configuration, and support for SALUS.
- Manage HSAC’s ArcGIS Online Organization, including establishing, maintaining, and documenting standards for apps, workflows, data, groups, and users.
- Partner with GIS consultants to manage, direct, and secure Amazon Web Services servers.
- Drive strategy regarding ways to enhance SALUS, workflows, and internal processes by staying on top of relevant technology trends and new releases.
- Analyze business process workflows and requirements to implement GIS and technology solutions.
- Provide project management expertise, and generate and distribute status reports that provide clear and accurate progress, risks, and issues.
- Orchestrate and direct the implementation of new projects with the GIS and Program Management teams.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend new software to improve efficiency or support project needs.
- Configure and publish ArcGIS Online hosted and ArcGIS Server hosted services.
- Configure ArcGIS Online/Portal applications including story maps, application templates, and web application builder configurations.
- Support Program Managers with the user and application requirements for custom solutions and prepare plans for solutions.
- Drive the identification of new data sources, maintain data, and establish a data audit schedule.
- Develop and execute a QA/QC process to ensure all deliverables meet expectations and requirements.
- Prepare technical documentation, user manuals, training materials and presentations.
- Provide technical troubleshooting support to end users and HSAC staff.
- Conduct training sessions with groups of users both in person and web-based as needed.
- Provide on-site technical support during emergency incidents and large-scale events as needed.
- Perform QA/QC of data and application deliverables.
- Coach and mentor more junior employee(s).
- Other project tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Master’s degree in GIS, Geography or related discipline from an accredited university or GISP Certificate
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience with the ArcGIS Platform including: ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS for Server, and ArcGIS Online performing activities defined for this position
- A minimum of 5 years of on-the-job experience requiring knowledge, skills, and abilities as defined for this position
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience with the Windows operating system and the suite of Microsoft Office products
- A US citizen or Green Card immigration status holder residing in the United States
- Ability to successfully pass a federal, state, and local security background check
Please send your resume and cover letter letting us know why you are the right addition to our team to: Jobs@hsacouncil.org
Highlight the following certification and skills to enhance eligibility for the position:
- GISP Certificate
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop Certification
- Experience supporting public safety or emergency management sectors with GIS
- Python scripting experience including ArcPy modules
- ArcGIS Online or Portal administration, group and user management
We look forward to hearing from you!